Providing focused agricultural educational through seeing, tasting and doing.
For decades, NC State’s dairy processing plant, the Feldmeier Dairy Processing Lab, has been primarily known for their delicious ice cream, a State Fair favorite. The most recent renovations in 2005 added the ability to provide cutting-edge food science innovations and research on popular locavore foods such as farmstead cheeses.
100% — yes, ALL — of the plants current operating costs are generated by revenues from the sale of dairy products, research grants, and fees from educational seminars. The addition of a full-service Creamery Café and Dairy Education Center at our farm will help increase our ability to both educate and enhance teaching and outreach capabilities.
Planned as a true destination learning center, visitors to the Lake Wheeler farm Creamery Cafe and Dairy Education Center, can enjoy an ice cream sundae or a probiotic yogurt while watching live video feeds of the plant in operation, or discovering the many facets of North Carolina’s dairy industry on interactive video exhibits. State-of-the-art Distance Learning technology will bring expanded dairy support to participants nationwide.
Ways to Participate
- Make a cash gift payable over a 1–3 year period
- Donate specific equipment or materials to help up-fit facilities
- Donate land or other real property*
- Establish your own named legacy
* This type of donation may result in significant tax benefits and/or income for retirement or for your heirs. Please consult your tax advisor.